Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Schribner's Canyon Saudi Arabia: Rock Climbing and Rappelling

On Sunday December 21st, My friends John Latendresse, Elias Bitar, Caitlin Taylor, and I ventured out into the Jebbles of Saudi Arabia. We drove into an isolated canyon known as Schribner's Canyon just out side the city of Hufof, Saudi Arabia. After scoping out the canyon we parked the SUV on the top where I set up our ropes and all the gear.

All Harnessed up Elias was first down the 70' Rappell, followed by Caitlin, after her was John and then my self. The day was perfectelly clear with temoertures in the high 70's.

The climbing began, Elias roped up began to onsite this cruxy wall with loose dirt and rocks. Thank God I top ropped it! Rocks fell and there were nothing but finger crimps and jams. What a great climb!!!

The next climb was a bit to the left. Looking to be easier with the crack, the rock was even more brittle. Elias went up first clearing the way of the loose crud. I followed up after. About 1/4 of the way up it seemed to me that the huge rock in the crack was not going to withstand anymore stress. So I abandoned the crack and swung to the face. This one had 5.12+ written all over it, what a dusey. Holding on with nothing but the tip of my index fingers I worked my way up. With a few creative moves I made it back to the crack above the sketchey boulder that could fall at any time.

Caitlin Roped up and began her first assent. Jamming her fingers into the crack she made he way up. John was next. After blistering his hands on the rope for one of his rappells he muscled his way up.

We climbed for about 4 hours that day. After cleaning all the gear and packing the car, we lit a fire in the canyon. Sitting back and relazing we cooked hotdogs and Zatar. What a Great day of Saudi climbing.

Here's the u-tube link for my latest adventure-

No comments: